Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lots of Life

Lots of Life

When reading SustainAble by Arris Sherin I found this annual report for 2006 that was created for Amazon Watch by Design Action Collective.  DAC uses a bright color palette to get your attention.  But once you are brought in by the rainbow of colors you begin to see an incredible amount of life within these images.  The eyes of the woman (or who I am assuming is a woman) are full of energy, age, and happiness.  I feel like the abundance of life that she has within her and the happiness that she finds still even though her home is disappearing reflects perfectly as an allegory for the creatures that live in the Amazon.  Perhaps I’m reading a bit too much into it, but this piece really pulled me deep into it when I first saw it.

            Technically I think it’s very sound.  I like the use of the white Helvetica as a strong stark contrast to the colors immediately around it. However with that said, I don’t like the type over her face, type or other things encroach on faces. I feel like if I were that person in the picture I’d be annoyed with it on my face and swat at it like a fly.    The slightly off center division between the two images allows for the text to take a direct position in the center of the composition, which in addition to the high level of contrast also makes the title very strong.  I think that the placement of the logo in the bottom right corner could not have been any better.  Again the designer utilized the extreme contrast between type and background color to really bring out the type.  Overall I think it's a very well done piece. 


1 comment:

  1. nice review..what about the use of texture, pattern, repetition here? The cropping of both the photos, and how the lines form the background photo draw you in and around?

    ReplyDelete